Monday, October 29, 2012

The Desert Fathers, Sunday, October 28, 2012, Abba Agathon


It was said concerning Abba Agathon that some monks came  to find him  having heard tell  of his great  discernment.  Wanting to  see  if he would  lose his temper they  said  to him  'Aren't  you that   Agathon who is   said to  be  a fornicator and   a  proud man?'  'Yes,  it  is very true,'  he  answered. They resumed,  'Arn't you  that Agothon who   is always talking  nonsense?' 'I am." Again they said 'Aren't you Agothon the heretic?' But at that he replied 'I am not a heretic.'  So  they asked him,  'Tell us why  you accepted everything we cast you, but repudiated this last  insult.' He replied 'The first accusations I take to myself for that is  good for my soul. But  heresy is separation from God. Now I have no wish to be separated  from God.' At  this saying they were astonished at his discernment and returned, edified.

No comments: