Friday, December 21, 2012

7 Quick Takes on Friday, Friday, December 21, 2012



-1-


It's hard not to start off this week's "Quick Takes" without thinking about the Newtown shooting incident.  It seems there are so many instances now of disturbed young men who seem to think they have no way to express themselves except by shooting up a school or movie theater.  The one solution that so few in the media seem to have thought of is prayer.  We simply need more people praying every day for a change in the culture we're living in. 


-2-


What a difference a year makes -- for the Denver Broncos that is.  Last year, Tim Tebow was the starting QB, the team was destined to end 8/8 and, even so, win the AFC West division.  No one expected the team to beat the mighty Steelers of Pittsburgh, much less go to the Super Bowl.  This year, Peyton Manning is the starter, the team should end with 13 wins and could earn a first round bye in the play-offs.  Is there a point?  No, just gloating a little. 

-3-


One thing I've been wondering about is that I don't seem to be seeing the level of traffic around town that one would expect at this time of year.  Also, stores don't seem to be as busy as normal.  I'm wondering if this is a sign of a souring economy or the impact of more people ordering Christmas gifts on line.  What do you think?


-4-


We've had an interesting weather week here in Colorado.  It's been in the 50's and beautifully sunny but on Wednesday, we had near white-out conditions.  There is, for the first time possibly since I've been here, snow in the forecast for Christmas Day. Of course, that's 3 days out and much can change here between now and then.  I guess we'll see.  This is one place where it is certainly true, if you don't like the weather, wait a couple of hours and it'll change.


-5-


Sometimes I wonder about reviewers on Amazon, especially book reviewers.  I know of one such specimen that automatically slams any book by a Catholic author writing on Catholic subjects.  It doesn't matter who the writer is or what the topic is, if it's Catholic it's going to get slammed.  The thing that's so frustrating is that, if you've read the book in question, or know anything about the topic, it's abundantly clear that this reviewer has only a passing knowledge of said book.  It makes me question the overall quality of reviews on Amazon.


-6-


In unison with the author of the Catholic Bibles blog, I do wish there was a really nice edition of a Catholic Bible, it could be the RSV-CE or NABRE versions, but it would be nice to have it in a package similar to, say, the ESV Clarion edition in real leather.  That's what I really want for Christmas.


-7-


Finally, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

2 comments:

Thomas at Identified Catholic said...

#3 I did more online shopping this year than ever before - and I wish I did more and skipped the stores!

Ron said...

For the last several years, I avoided the stores completely. This year, I ventured out a couple of times, but I'm not sure I'd like to make a habit of it. It's just not much fun, like it seemed to be back in the day.