Friday, December 7, 2012

7 Quick Takes on Friday


-1-

 

Finally, it’s been a quiet week.  I think our biggest challenge of the week will be attending the Vigil Mass tonight for the Immaculate Conception.  My understanding is that this is one of two Holy Days of obligation that is never abrogated.  I ain’t a night person, but tomorrow, with things that must be done taking up the weekend, there’s nothing for it, we must attend the Vigil Mass this evening.  One thing that concerns me is that it means driving in the dark, on the I-25 corridor both to church and back; as I get a little older, driving at night is more of a challenge.  Wish us luck.

 

-2-

 

All the news this week is about the Holy Father getting a Twitter account.  I have mixed feelings about that, but if he thinks it’s a wise thing to do, who am I to argue?

 

-3-

 

I began my Advent reading with the introduction Volume 1 of Guerric of Igny’s Liturgical Sermon.  Normally, I question the value of scholarly introductions to the works of ancient works; too often, more insight is to be gained by just reading what the original author wrote without being prejudiced to some professor’s point of view which may really miss the point entirely.  Yet, there was a point made that was, so to speak, a real eye opener.  It seems, and this is borne out by reading him, that Guerric wrote from the tradition of God as light, and Advent as the season of the coming of the Light.  I think I’ve been too much influenced by John of the Cross and others who view our growth in God as a kind of darkness.  I realized I need to shake that off and am much more comfortable with Guerric’s (and John’s Gospel) idea that to seek God is, in truth, to seek enlightenment, not darkness.

 

-4-

 

Toying with the idea again, of trying to write a mystery series of books based on a group of characters I dreamed up over the last several years.  I’ll keep you updated on the progress of that.

 

-5-

 

Pet Peeve Alert!  I notice more and more often that things published on the internet, even news stories and columns from major professional writers, contain spelling errors and/or typos.  I have long been of the opinion that such things should happen, at worst, infrequently, at best, never.  I know for many of us who grew up writing drafts of papers longhand, and typing (on a typewriter!) the finished product, it’s a great temptation to write something quickly on a computer and get it out the door, and very difficult to try to proof read the thing on the screen.  But I wish more people, especially those who get paid to do such things, would try a little harder.  I worry what damage is being done to an already suffering language.

 

-6-

A post on the American Conservative blog, titled “Why Catholics Can’t Speak English,” covers the question of the lack of availability of a really nice Catholic Bible translation, and, for that matter, edition.  The author likes the Knox transition, newly released by Baronius Press, because it was done in the context of making the language more accessible to the English reader.  Msgr Knox used the vernacular as a prominent feature of his translation.  The AC author is arguing for a new edition that makes the Bible more understandable to the Catholic in the pew.

 

I’ve always taken a different tack toward Holy Scripture.  I believe any translation, and edition, of the Bible should be beautiful; the language should be somewhat elevated and majestice.  I don’t think we read the Bible only for understanding, I think we read it to open ourselves to God’s self-revelation and allow His Word, which is His, wholly Other, to enlighten us; it’s not a teaching tool but something much more.  I tend to think that making the language of the Bible more pedestrian is very often an effort to bring God down to our level, which is, of course, an impossible task.

 

-7-

 

It’s Friday!  Thanks again to Jennifer for hosting 7 Quick Takes.

No comments: