Friday, November 30, 2012

7 Quick Takes on Friday, Friday, November 30, 2012


 

 

-1-

 

Here it is, Thursday, and I haven't written one word on my Friday post.  Whoever happens to stop here to read this may be just as happy if I don't.  Oh well, the blog life goes on.

 

-2-

 

l'll have to say, it's been a quiet week.  It seems like a lull between Thanksgiving now over and Advent yet to come.  I don't remember, since I've been in the Church, that Advent came the week after Thanksgiving, rather than the Sunday after.  Seems to have thrown the entire holiday schedule off a bit.

 

-3-

 

This year, I decided to pick a book to read for Advent, as I've done every year for the last 5 or 6 years for Lent.  The Lenten reading is called for in the Rule of St. Benedict, and I think it's a wonderful habit to get into.  It encourages you to spend time with one author, and one work, and really get some meaning from the text.

 

This year's Advent reading is the first volume of the liturgical sermons of Guerric of Igny.  I realize it may have slipped your mind who old Guerric is, so I'll remind you.  Guerric is one of the founding fathers of the Cistercian order, roughly a contemporary of St Bernard of Clairvaux, who was encourage to the monastic life by St Bernard himself.  After about 10 years or so in the monastery, I think at Clairvaux, he became the second abbot of the Cistercian house at Igny, in the diocese of Rheims.  This monastery or the land therefore, anyway, was given to St Bernard by the bishop of Rheims for Bernard's efforts in settling a dispute between the bishop and the lay people in the diocese.  All of this happened nearly 900 years ago; my how time flies.

 

-4-

 

I just learned I didn't win the $560 mil Powerball drawing.  I don't understand, the clerk who sold me the ticket absolutely assured me that it was the winner.  Just can't trust anyone these days.

 

-5-

 

There was some excitement this week, involving my neighbor's driveway.  This being Colorado, everything is uphill, especially that driveway, it looks like a ski slope.  The neighbor has a Jeep which he usually drives, however, on Tuesday; his wife decided she should take the Jeep.  So, she backed it out of the garage, forgot to set the parking brake, and got out to fetch something she had forgotten.  Guess what happened?  Of course, the Jeep decided to roll down the driveway, coming dangerously close to rolling off and landing in my dining room.  It eventually turned the other way and ended in another neighbor's front yard.  In the process of making that turn, it knocked a rock off the retaining wall that supports the driveway, which ended up against the foundation of my house, about a foot from my gas meter.  I count myself very thankful that it didn't hit the gas meter and, therefore, blow my house to smithereens.  I would have been a crispy critter, which really would have ticked me off after going through the great wood floor project and seeing said project to completion.

 

-6-

 

I think bloggers often like to write more about their blog, and themselves writing the blog, than about useful topics that should properly be covered in their chosen area of interest.  I see this all the time and am hardly immune from the temptation.  For instance, I realize I must return the focus of this blog to Benedictine and Camaldolese topics.  I'm thinking of choosing an overall theme for next year of two or three Benedictine topics, most likely silence, stability, and obedience.  All of these practices are ones that I hope to enjoy more of once retirement begins.  Still haven't decided about that, and, since I have the attention span and memory of a gnat, may forget the idea by the time New Year's rolls around anyway.

 

-7-

 

I see Jennifer, our very kind hostess, is hoping to live in a way that allows more monastic influence in her life.  That, in the end, is what the life of a Benedictine oblate is all about.    It is, sadly, much more difficult for the oblate than for a professed monk living in a monastery.  Still, I think it would greatly benefit the world we live in if more people followed her example; it would be much more peaceful and serene.

 

No comments: