Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Call To Lectio

COME now, thou poor child of man, turn awhile from thy business, hide thyself for a little time from restless thoughts, cast away thy troublesome cares, put aside thy wearisome distractions. Give thyself a little leisure to converse with God, and take thy rest awhile in Him. Enter into the secret chamber of thy heart: leave everything without but God and what may help thee to seek after Him, and when thou hast shut the door, then do thou seek Him. Say now, O my whole heart, say now to God, I seek Thy face; Thy face, Lord, do I seek.Come now then, O Lord my God, teach Thou my heart when and how I may seek Thee, where and how I may find Thee? O Lord, if Thou are not here, where else shall I seek Thee?

St. Anselm of Canterbury, Devotions

3 comments:

Brian said...

I love your blog - the pic of Colorado is awesome (I have visited several times). What beautiful words of St. Anselm. Just yesterday my dog and I hiked in some quiet woods (20 minutes from NYC!). The woods can be very much like a monastery."leave everything without but God and what may help thee to seek after Him."

God bless you on your Benedictine journey. I am a Trappist fan - I make yearly retreats at St. Joseph's Abbey in Spencer, Mass.

Ron said...

Brian

Thank you for your kind comments. I feel very blessed to live in such a beautiful place for sure.

Being out in nature, finding silence, gives us the chance to put ourselves at God's disposal. So, being in Colorado sure isn't necessary for that. Your hike in the woods sounds ideal.

I've been interested in Trappist spirituality myself, if there were a Trappist monastery near here, I'd be very tempted to make regular retreats. The closest monastery of any kind is Christ in the Desert. I think it might claim some Trappist connections since Thomas Merton stayed there for several days shortly before departing on his trip to the East.

Anyway, thank you again for the kind comment.

Ron said...

Brian

Thank you for your kind comments. I feel very blessed to live in such a beautiful place for sure.

Being out in nature, finding silence, gives us the chance to put ourselves at God's disposal. So, being in Colorado sure isn't necessary for that. Your hike in the woods sounds ideal.

I've been interested in Trappist spirituality myself, if there were a Trappist monastery near here, I'd be very tempted to make regular retreats. The closest monastery of any kind is Christ in the Desert. I think it might claim some Trappist connections since Thomas Merton stayed there for several days shortly before departing on his trip to the East.

Anyway, thank you again for the kind comment.