Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Miscellaneous Musings, Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sir John PolkinghorneImage via Wikipedia
“If you don’t know what you believe, how do you know you believe it?”

That was a question posed to an adult Sunday school class by Rev Judd Wylie, back when I was still a Protestant in Texas. I’ve often thought that one of the wisest statements on faith I’ve ever heard and is probably one of the triggers that started me on the path to Rome. The other day, I came across this quote from the book Science and the Trinity, by John Polkinghorne, the English physicist turned Anglican priest.

“Broad general ideas are attractive (a divine Mind behind the order of the universe), but I believe that theism only becomes truly persuasive when it is elaborated in greater detail and when it is anchored in the experience and interpretation that are preserved and propagated within a religious tradition.”
I’ve known a few people in my time who profess faith in Christianity, yet refuse to participate in any kind of formal worship services or membership in any formal religious organization. They usually say they can worship God just as well on the golf course, or wherever, as I can in Church. I know then I’ve run across someone who has very little idea of what faith is, and cares less. Without some sort of definition to our beliefs, there simply is no belief.





Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: