Saturday, October 24, 2009

Peace and Quiet

One thing that has been on my mind a lot, especially since our recent office move, is how difficult it is in this world to find even short times of silence and solitude. I’m not sure if I’ve written about the move, but the company’s main office is relatively small and, as we grew, finding space for all the folks was difficult. The solution was to rent a small office on another floor of our building and move the Accounting department up there. The problem is that the office is basically 2 rooms with all of us crammed together. There is little privacy and it’s very difficult to find much silence.

I certainly don’t object to this situation, in this economy, I feel myself lucky to have a job, and, since we are on the 14 floor of the building, the view is stunning, overlooking Garden of the Gods and the north end of Colorado Springs. In fact, the view is often itself a distraction. (I hope my boss doesn’t read this).

Still, the situation has pointed up to me the fact that there is little opportunity for silence or solitude anywhere you go these days. Sometimes even in church before Mass, people feel the need to talk and socialize, seemingly unaware of being in our Lord’s presence. I am finding it increasingly difficult to concentrate no matter where I am.

This may be a function of age, but I think it is truly a change in the world around me. It’s almost as if people are afraid to be alone with themselves, and afraid for anyone else to be alone with themselves either.

I don’t know that there is a point to this, except possibly to lament the situation. I don’t know that it’s going to change anytime soon, but perhaps there is a lesson to draw from it. One parallel I can draw is that, as we become an increasingly secular society, noise becomes more pronounced.

It seems, for example in the case of Catholics, as we lose our appreciation of and reverence for the Eucharist, we lose our ability to be alone with ourselves. It seems we become afraid that we may discover who we are deep inside and what that discovery might mean for our lives. We are afraid of the truth about ourselves and are losing the sense of the sacred that would help us to deal with the that truth.

I could be wrong, but I know that I’m going to redouble my efforts just to find a little peace and quiet.

2 comments:

John said...

Congratulations on the great view of God’s creation from where you work. Such beauty helps keep us aware of God’s loving care for us.

In regards to your efforts (and my own) to find a little peace and quiet, there’s three points that need to made:

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

Ron said...

John

You're right. When I look out the window at the mountains, I can't help but think of the God who created such beauty.

I hope all is well with you,

Peace